The 10 reaches below can each be done as one-day trips.
The Best Whitewater Paddling: Sections of Reach VII and most of Section VIII.
Suggested two-day trips:
- Reaches 1 & 2: Medway to Winn (includes a portage)
- Reaches 2 & 3: Below Mattaseunk Dam, Medway, to South Lincoln
- Reaches 3 & 4: Howland to Ketawamkihtek branch at Birch Stream
- Reaches 8 & 9: Orono to South Orrington
- Reach 9 & 10: Penobscot Salmon Club, Brewer, to Bucksport/Verona Island
Suggested 3-day trips:
- Reach 2-4 (Below Mattaseunk Dam to Merrill Brook, Howland)
- Reaches 7-10 (Old Town Binette Park to Bucksport/Verona Island
Extended journey: Combine the Seboeis River and East Branch of the Penobscot, both paddling trails already, continue down the PRPT, and down the Penobscot Eastern Channel out to Castine and islands on the Maine Island Trail.